This position under general supervision of the Superintendent, is responsible for managing and directing daily crew operations. Also, coordinates daily work to ensure schedules are followed and work is completed safely, efficiently, effectively on time, and on budget. Responsible for solving routine problems and pro-actively identifying problem areas on jobs, overcome obstacles, and provide quality control. Will run heavy equipment as needed.
- Inspects work areas before, during, and upon completion of assigned tasks to ensure safety, quality and accuracy of the work. Adheres to the project specifications.
- Communicates all construction needs -- material, equipment and staffing to the Project Superintendent in order to prevent delays.
- Manage personnel daily duties and productivity, while maintaining a safe work environment.
- Plan, organize, and communicate production goals with crew members, crew supervisors, trade contractors, and customers.
- Understand dirt, soil, and aggregate classifications.
- Completes required paperwork on a daily/weekly basis and submits to the Project Superintendent (daily quantities report, etc.)
- Reads and understands project plans and specifications thoroughly.
- Runs equipment as needed.
- Inspects equipment with operators and reports any equipment in need of maintenance or repair to the Superintendent; ensures cleanliness of equipment assigned to the crew.
- Maintains cleanliness of company vehicle and adheres to all company vehicle policies and procedures.
- Monitors the safety of the assigned crew and complies with all safety policies, standards and procedures; conducts "Toolbox" discussions on a weekly basis; address any issues with his crew.
- Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times while on the jobsite (i.e., vest, earplugs, glasses, hard hat, etc.).
- Completes daily trench/Excavation forms
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3-5 years’ experience/knowledge with underground utilities: water, sewer, and storm drain. As well as experience with sewer construction and repair, gravity and force main.
- Must be proficient at reading plans & understanding project specifications.
- Must be proficient at operating an excavator, skid steer, and working knowledge other heavy equipment such as bulldozers, back-hoes, skid steers, and graders.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Motivated to come to work and be a team player.
- Must have valid Driver's License. CDL License preferred.